About Singrauli - History
The area in the eastern part of the state of MP and the adjoining southern part of Sonebhadra district in the state of UP is collectively known as Singrauli. Singrauli is emerging as India’s Energy capital, the place earlier known as Shringavali, named after the sage Shringi, was once upon a time covered with dense and unnavigable forests and inhabited by wild animals. The place was considered so treacherous that it was used by the Kings of Rewa State, who ruled the area till 1947, as an open air prison for detaining errant civilians and officers.
Just two generations ago, small holders were tending their parcels of land here, and the original inhabitants were gathering honey and herbs in the forest. In the late fifties, a large scale dam banked up the water of the River Rihand. The dam known as Govind Vallabh Pant Sagar, was inaugurated by Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru in 1962. Later, rich coal deposits spread over an area of 2200 km² in the state of M.P. (eastern part of Sidhi District) and U.P. (southern part of Sonebhadra District) were discovered close to the artificial lake that could be used to generate electricity.
© Singrauli Development Authority 2019-20 - All Rights Reserved